Chuck Maddox’s Watch Blog

This page is a journal of my journey in the field of Horology, which is timekeeping. In other words, watch collecting. Which in my case is the collecting of chronograph watches. To contact me, email me at: cmaddox3@sbcglobal.net .

Name:
Location: Chicagoland, United States

The Extremely wordy version of my Resumé is located here: http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/resume.html

Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Problem: No CK-2915-1 Bezel. Solution? Make one!

Problem: No CK-2915-1 Bezel. Solution? Make one!

Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 17:21:06 +0100 (MET)
From: "Gernot Schmierer" <(removed to preserve privacy)@xxxxxx.de>
To: Chuck Maddox

Hello Chuck,

I saw that you are quite involved in some Speedmaster Websites and you seem to be an expert.

Hello Gernot,

I don't know that I'd go that far... I've been a Speedmaster owner for over 20 years (with my Mark II) but I've only been collecting chronographs seriously for about 6 years. I still consider myself a student at the topic at hand and I learn new things all the time.

I have been collecting vintage Speedmasters for about 15 years and last year I found a CK2915 in Hong Kong. Unfortunately the bezel was missing, so I decided to build a bezel on my own. After having spent 12 months and after having persuaded a dozen friends to help me I am finally there!

THAT is SO COOL! That's great!

What do you think (see attached pic)? You can compare the typography with the model printed in "Time Capsule"!

Now, CK2915's are not my speciality (I only own a CK2915-3 which looks like a CK2998), but your bezel looks really REALLY close... The Typography does look off a little bit in side-by-side comparision with what I have on hand here.

Would you mind me posting your query and picture in both my watch Blog, and on the TimeZone Omega Forum so others can share their insight? (Gernot has since given me the go ahead)

Thank you for sharing this with me, I really enjoyed getting your post and it's a pleasure meeting you.

I'd like to hear more about your collection and experiences sometime.

I took my typography from the OMEGA "Time Capsule" and from an old OMEGA Speedmaster ad. I guess the first bezels must have been "hand made". Your picture shows much deeper numbers, possibly engraved! The original bezel was etched only a couple microns deep, by the way that's why most bezels are completely worn out). Using the Replica bezel was a "no no" for me, because it looks way too modern and it is too big. It gives the watch a totally different appearance.

My nicest chrono is a 19--s NOS                   . Don't tell anyone about that ;-)

I hope that's acceptable! =)

Cheers!

Chuck

P.S. I'm forwarding this reply to Bill Sohne the moderator of the TZ Omega Forum so he can comment. Bill owns a CK2915-1 and his example needed a bezel as well but he used the 1957 Re-Edition bezel on his watch. I'm sure he'll be able to help us both understand the differences between original and the Re-Edition and also evaluate your bezel. (Amazing!)

Take care

Gernot

Cheers!

[If anyone has comments or insights, please make them by clicking on the Pencil icon below!]

-- C

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home