Chuck Maddox’s Watch Blog

This page is a journal of my journey in the field of Horology, which is timekeeping. In other words, watch collecting. Which in my case is the collecting of chronograph watches. To contact me, email me at: cmaddox3@sbcglobal.net .

Name:
Location: Chicagoland, United States

The Extremely wordy version of my Resumé is located here: http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/resume.html

Monday, May 02, 2005

Asking Buzz about his Speedy...

From: Chuck Maddox <cmaddox@xnet.com>

Date: May 2, 2005 3:31:04 PM CDT

To: David Xxxxxxxxx

Subject: Re: Resolving the question of Aldrin's Speedy

On May 2, 2005, at 3:19 PM, David Xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Dear Mr. Maddox:

I have read with interest your very knowledgeable posts on TZ and on your own web page regarding the history of the Omega Speedmaster, and I have used your comments to aid my own Speedy purchases (currently a '65 Pre-Pro, a newer '57 Re-issue and a modern Moon watch).  One question that has fascinated me was whether Buzz Aldrin wore a c.321 or c.861 Speedy on the Moon.  I know Buzz very well, and I just spent several days with him last week, so I asked him to resolve the issue. 

David,

Thank you for your kind words and please feel free to call me Chuck.  Mr. Maddox was my grandfather and I have a long way to go before I've earned the honor.

Buzz told me that, as far as he knows, he wore the same Speedmaster on Gemini 12 and Apollo 11.  The only way the watches could be different was if he turned in his watch for cleaning after the Gemini mission in November 1966 and NASA gave him back a different watch.  However, he is almost certain this did not happen because, by that time, NASA was more concerned with solving the issues surrounding the fire on Apollo 1 than with cleaning watches.  He was pretty clear about this.  Consequently, I believe it is safe to say that the watch Buzz Aldrin wore on the Moon in July 1969 was purchased by NASA before November 1966, and therefore it certainly carried a c.321 movement.

I have to say this is not a big surprise.  Several of us have developed information with Omega that has led us to the same conclusion.  But it is excellent to have first hand testimony from the gentleman himself.

I appreciate your taking the opportunity to ask Mr. Aldrin yourself and sharing with me the results of your efforts.

I would like to ask your permission to present this information on TZ, my webpages and web blog. I will of course credit your effort and shield your email so you won't be pestered by the world.

I would be happy to answer any follow-up questions that you may have.

Please let me know and Thanks again for your efforts.

Oh! and congratulations on your budding Speedmaster collection, I just happened to switch over to my c.1996 Display Back c.863 about 20 minutes before receiving your communication!

Sincerely, 
David Xxxxxxxxx

Cheers and Good Hunting!

Chuck

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home