Chuck Maddox’s Watch Blog

This page is a journal of my journey in the field of Horology, which is timekeeping. In other words, watch collecting. Which in my case is the collecting of chronograph watches. To contact me, email me at: cmaddox3@sbcglobal.net .

Name:
Location: Chicagoland, United States

The Extremely wordy version of my Resumé is located here: http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/resume.html

Tuesday, June 14, 2005

R*X*W Plasmir Milgraph Chronographs

I received a call from a reclusive watch friend of mine and on a lark during our conversation I pulled up the R*X*W website... Check this out:

The name "ROCKX SOLID" means that the model is "solider than rock", and it is an original watch brand which Ken Sato, a well-known collector and buyer of sporty models such as Rolex, develops worldly and wide.

Because Sato loves the golden ages of good-old mechanical sporty models so much, he has been reviving former good models with the latest technologies. There have been many inquiries on the ROCKX SOLID series, which made its simultaneous debut in Europe and America on 2002, even after last year's sold out. Now the ROCKX SOLID has become a premium model, as it was knocked down with about $2000. While many Japanese people tend to select things only by its brand name, enthusiastic fans understand high-spec quality.

This new work has installed an original mechanical movement; modifying two legendary models designed in Swiss during 1960s ~ 1970s, the golden ages. Additionally, world's first (manufactured in 2002) dual structure (N-luminous) Plasmir dial, and mil-spec 3H gas light capsule (keeps on emitting over 20 years even after the sun disappears), which American military and their special forces formally adopts, are also installed in this model. The former lever type model had evolved into Quatro-lock screw down type crown & pusher, along with 1000 gauss super antimagnetic structure. The belt is dressed with luxurious Connolly Leather (hand stitched), the purveyor to the Royal Household, which is also known for the leather for Rolls Royce and Ferrari.

This newest military chronograph fascinates us even more than the former model. It is destined to attract great deal of attention not only from collectors in overseas, but also from the whole world over.

ROCKX SOLID Plasmir Mil-graph

Specifications

  • Movement: Swiss designed mechanical original chronograph movement (2 counter hand winding, 20 stone, 216,000 vph/3 counter self-winding, 34 stone, 28,800 vph
  • Case: SUS316 (1000 gauss antimagnetic performance for soft iron made inner case equipment)
  • Crown & pusher: Quatro-lock system screw down type
  • Windscreen: dome-shaped mineral crystal
  • Dials & hands: Composite equipment of Plasmir (N-luminous)?3H tritium gas light (within safety standard value)
  • Size: ?39.9mm, 15.5mm thick (2 counter), 16.5mm thick (3 counter)
  • Waterproof performance: 100m
  • Belt: the purveyor to the Royal Household; hand stitched Connolly leather belt
  • BOX: African zebra wood
  • 1-year warranty
  • Price: under $1,000 before shipping from Japan.

The 3-Register version uses a Valjoux 7750 variant that's in the well known and regarded Tri-Compax layout...

When I see this watch and look at a vintage Camaro, I ask my self... Why didn't/doesn't TAG-Heuer make a model similar to these as 'the Classic' model line version of the Camero?

Photo ruthlessly glommed from OnTheDash for informative purposes!

In the R*X*W we have a watch that is not terrible divergent from the Camaro in terms of size, shape and looks. Yes, lots of detail differences (like how the new/current Carrera 7750 is different from the Vintage Pasadena), but consider this... We know that a quality built cushion/rounded Square case can be manufactured, a Valjoux 7750 Tri-Compax layout movement placed within, and be sold for under $1000 before shipping and be profitable.

Just as my traditional RX for TAG-Heuer has been to revive the Pasadena SS/Black Dial, put it on a Oyster-styled fliplock bracelet in the "Out the door" price range of "$999-1299", I could see TAG-Heuer producing a "Classic Camaro" with a case/dial/bezel similar to the vintage Camaro, using a Tri-Compax 7750 and selling it in the $1000~1799 "Out the door" price range.

Could you?

What the offering of the R*X*W illustrates to me that this scenario is feasible. Not only that, it's also likely that it's feasable to offer a Carrera based on the Tri-Compax 7750 (perhaps in rotor automatic and non-rotor manual wind versions) instead of the ETA/DD movement for the same amount of money. Personally, I'd rather have a 7750 movement than a piggy-back chronograph movement. But that's just my tastes.

In any instance, a Valjoux 7750 chronograph being offered new at the Sub-$1,000 price range is a great deal these days. Being the owner of the previously sold MM20 R*X*W model:

I will attest that the build quality is excellent. Is it the par of a $3k+ Panerai? I couldn't say, but it's an amazing piece at under $1,000.

The R*X*W Plasmir Milgraph Chronographs are available on the R*X*W site. I hope they will be very successful with their new models! If you've ever had the hankering for a Panerai, but haven't wanted to lay out the cash, this is your chance to immunize yourself from a far more substancial financial layout in the future!

-- Chuck

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cound I EVER!

I could see TAG-Heuer producing a "Classic Camaro" with a case/dial/bezel similar to the vintage Camaro, using a Tri-Compax 7750 and selling it in the $1000~1799 "Out the door" price range.

Could you?


It would be a sweet watch and if the price were right - it would be irresistable!

Thanks,

-shawn

Wednesday, June 15, 2005 1:03:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the preview. I seriously considered their new offer, the Milgraph 7750 for $980 but then I hate to support the unoriginal idea. For a $1000, there are numerous offers outthere for a Valjoux 7750 caliber. RXW should reconsider their pricing scheme and/or offer free shipping for their products. After all, who would need a watch that bad for $1000. Let their watches rotten to competition.

dataqueue

Friday, November 03, 2006 3:40:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chuck, I didn't know you sold your MM20! I finally picked one up last year and I like it a lot. I haven't been wearing it much lately though...

This Plasmir Mil-graph looks interesting, if it's really offered for under $1k, I might pick one up coz I think it looks sharp. And you're absolutely right that $1k for a Valjoux 7750 is a damn good deal!

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 6:47:00 PM  
Blogger Chuck Maddox said...

Actually, I have NOT sold my MM20... I have never contemplated selling it.

-- Chuck

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 6:57:00 PM  
Blogger Jos. said...

Hi Chuck,

Saw this old post of yours about the Plasmir Milgraph. You mention that the tricompax has a V7750 inside.

I was wondering about the movement inside the manual bicompax version, which is only mentioned as 'Swiss'. Do you know what it is, or what the ebauche is, or if it's an emulation of an older movement, which one?

Much appreciated!

Thanks®ards,
Jos. Birken

Sunday, June 10, 2007 10:24:00 PM  
Blogger Chuck Maddox said...

I was wondering about the movement inside the manual bicompax version, which is only mentioned as 'Swiss'. Do you know what it is, or what the ebauche is, or if it's an emulation of an older movement, which one?

Hi Jos. I really don't know for sure as I've always been a "Three-Register" collector instead of a two-register collector. And unfortunately, R*X*W has pulled the information on that particular model off of their site [and the 7754 based model is sold out now as well. I would venture that it was a modern version of some venerable Valjoux 773x based manual-wind movement, but which specific one, I am not sure.

Sorry. If I learn more, I'll post it here. Of course, if you drop me an email [so I have your email address] I'll drop you a line.

Good Hunting!

-- Chuck

Monday, June 11, 2007 6:09:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The movement in the bi-compax version of the RXW Plasmir Milgraph is the ST1901 movement by Tianjin/Seagull, a Chinese manufacturer. The movement is sometimes referred to as the ST19, but there are variants which are denoted by the 01, 02, etc. The movement is generally considered a replication of the Swiss Venus 175.

Regarding the tri-compax version, from what I understand, RXW didn't use a 7754 movement on the Plasmir Milgraphs. I believe it is/was the 7753. The 7754 was essentially the 7750 fitted with the GMT hand/function. I don't recall RXW producing a Plasmir Milgraph with that function. I could be wrong?

The 7753 (the one I believe is in the tri-compax version) is based on the 7750 but has the registers in the 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions rather than the 6, 9, and 12 o'clock position, as in the 7750.

Friday, June 15, 2007 12:51:00 PM  
Blogger Chuck Maddox said...

A. Everitt said...

The movement in the bi-compax version of the RXW Plasmir Milgraph is the ST1901 movement by Tianjin/Seagull, a Chinese manufacturer. The movement is sometimes referred to as the ST19, but there are variants which are denoted by the 01, 02, etc. The movement is generally considered a replication of the Swiss Venus 175.

Hello A,

Thanks for adding your insight on the Bi-Compax R*X*W's base movement. I suppose it shouldn't surprise me [the source of the movement].

Regarding the tri-compax version, from what I understand, RXW didn't use a 7754 movement on the Plasmir Milgraphs. I believe it is/was the 7753. The 7754 was essentially the 7750 fitted with the GMT hand/function. I don't recall RXW producing a Plasmir Milgraph with that function. I could be wrong?

You are correct, the Valjoux 7753 is the Tri-Compax version of the venerable 7750 movement. The most prolific seller of the 7753 is likely Hamilton who has sold buckets and barrels of their Khaki Aviation Chronographs the past few years. At an MSRP of $1,195 on a bracelet,it's nearly a no-brainer if one can get a discount of any stripe.

The 7753 (the one I believe is in the tri-compax version) is based on the 7750 but has the registers in the 3, 6, and 9 o'clock positions rather than the 6, 9, and 12 o'clock position, as in the 7750.

You are correct, A!

Thanks for posting!

-- Chuck

Friday, June 15, 2007 4:34:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been spending some time on this watch and still can't find what kind of movement this RXW Plasmir tri-compax is using. The back of the case is marked as valjoux 7750, but the side is marked as Swiss designed mechanical move't vj 1973. Notice that vj 1973 seems to be a movement number, see hidden pdf file from the RXW web site:

http://rockxwatch.com/collection/rockx.pdf

So, my question still is, what kind of movement does the RXW Plasmir tri-compax use? Any hints are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Monday, July 16, 2007 9:43:00 PM  
Blogger Chuck Maddox said...

As indicated by a. everitt, the 3-Register version of the R*X*W Chronograph is using a 7753 variant of the Valjoux/ETA 7750 movement.

I should have my example any day now.

-- Chuck

Monday, July 16, 2007 10:11:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks a lot, Chunk. I am looking forward to learning from you the examples. It would be great if there can be some pictures of the movement (I know I am asking for too much, hope you don't mind). Thanks again for your comments.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 8:41:00 AM  
Blogger Chuck Maddox said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

Tuesday, July 17, 2007 9:36:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to shed a little more light on the 3-register version of the Plasmir Milgraph. If I remember correctly, at one point RXW offered two versions of the 3-register Plasmir Milgraph. I'm not sure of the movement that was used in the other, but it appeared to be the same type of set up as the Valjoux 7753.

I recall it being sold for several hundred dollars less than the one being sold as a genuine Valjoux 7750. I suspect that it was one of the Asian 7753 copies but I'm not certain.

Something else I also seem to remember is that there were some of the 3-register models that had "Swiss Designed" on the bottom of the dial. This may have been on the model that had the Valjoux copy inside. To me, that would make sense.

I would guess that RXW is using the same case for the 7750 model as they were for this less expensive version. The 7750 version just has "Valjoux 7750" stamped into the caseback in addition to the other model number (VJ-1973).

The "Valjoux 7750" stamping appears to be in slightly different type and, I suppose, was done after the casebacks were originally made. In other words, I suspect that RXW used the same caseback for both versions but just stamped an additional marking (Valjoux 7750) on what is supposedly the genuine 7750 model.

I do have one of the Valjoux 7750 marked models. I just haven't had the guts to open it up yet to verify what's inside. Chuck, if you do get one and open it up, I hope you will share photos with everyone. We would all rest easier knowing for sure what is inside.

Saturday, August 04, 2007 9:24:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hwgyqbeI have a RXW Marina Militare 41mm without the crown guard...sweet looking....The crown stem is broken and I cant get it repaired by RXW...They no longer have the part for it...So beware of repair support from these buggers...not a good company to stand behind their product...They also dont answer emails....scndaaa@aol.com

Saturday, March 08, 2008 7:18:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home